University of Cambridge

Job Opportunities

Right to work

Do I have the right to work in the UK?

UK, Swiss and Selected EEA Nationals (30 countries)

At present, the rights and status of EEA nationals in the UK remain unchanged. There are further details on the webpages here:

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Switzerland or one of the following European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you have the right to work in the UK:

You will need to produce documents from List A in order to provide evidence of your right to work before you can be employed.

What if I don't yet have the right to work in the UK?

If you don't already have the legal right to work in the UK, you are still welcome to apply for a job with the University. The most common route through which you can gain the right to work in the UK is through the points-based system, although there are other relevant routes depending on any family or ancestral links you may have with the UK.

If you are made an offer of employment with the University and you intend to seek permission to work in the UK via a Tier 2 (General) visa (which is the main route for skilled workers), you must first obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from the University. This will require that the job is skilled to at least degree level or above, and meets the minimum salary requirements for the role (commonly £30,000, depending on experience).

All Professorial and Reader positions at the University are guaranteed a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa.

We strongly recommend that you consult the Apply for a UK visa section of the Home Office webpages to determine your suitability for a UK visa.

Any job application you submit to us will be assessed using criteria based on the knowledge, skills and experience required for the relevant post. You will not be treated less favourably than another applicant on the grounds of national origin. However, any offer of employment we make to you will be conditional upon you gaining permission to work in the UK. By law, you will not be able to start working for us until you are able to provide evidence that this permission has been granted.