The University Information Service (UIS) provide critical core IT infrastructure that keeps the collegiate University working, enabling the University to fulfil its mission of excellence in research and education and by supporting excellent administration. UIS has a Data Centre facility at our West Cambridge site, which provides an energy efficient, secure and resilient Data Centre for both the UIS and Cambridge Assessment. A new opportunity has become available for an experienced Critical Services Engineer to join our Data Centre Services team.
This role is part of the maintenance team for the Data Centre, which ensures the availability, performance and safety of the specialist power and cooling infrastructure for the West Cambridge facility and which provides Critical Infrastructure support for other sites around the University Estate.
As a Critical Services Engineer, you will:
- Perform reactive maintenance on the mechanical and electrical infrastructure to ensure efficient and safe operation of the electrical power and chilled water-cooling systems;
- Supervise and assist site teams comprising maintenance team fitters, plant operators and contractors;
- Undertake routine maintenance activities for the building fabric and external areas.
- Respond to emergencies associated with the building services within the Data Centre estate.
- Deputise for the Senior Critical Services Engineer during periods of absence and perform duties associated with that role.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience in facility management supervision.
- Good communication skills to enable you to explain technical issues to end users.
- The ability to negotiate with suppliers and contractors on delivery dates and costs.
- The ability to work alone, and as part of a team.
- General education to A-level standard, ONC, HNC/D or equivalent.
- BS7621 "Requirements for Electrical Installations. IET Wiring Regulations" 17th/18th Edition certification.
This position is available on a fixed-term basis for 1 year in the first instance.
Further information is available in the attached further particulars document. Candidates are encouraged to apply even if not all desirable criteria are met.
Applications are welcome from internal candidates who would like to apply for the role on the basis of a secondment from their current role in the University.
We particularly welcome applications from women and candidates from a BME background for this vacancy as they are currently under-represented at this level in our department.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
For any queries regarding this position please contact Ritchie Carter via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 6 July 2021.
Please quote reference VC26453 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.