The University of Cambridge's Information Services is looking for a hands-on Software Engineer Manager to lead a team of engineers working on building new cloud native services and modernising existing applications. The services that the team maintains, of which some are public facing, are mainly used by University staff, researchers, and students which total around 60,000 people. Your work will have a significant impact on the reputation of one of the world's leading universities.
Our newer services use modern web architecture standards, are structured around APIs and are continuously built and tested using GitLab. They run on Docker containers and are deployed to a serverless container platform or a Kubernetes cluster on public cloud providers.
The team has a strong learning mindset and have produced boilerplate solutions and turn-key templates for their technology stack based upon Terraform, Ansible, GitLab, Python, Django, Java, Spring, React, and Typescript. These common resources help them be more efficient, work better at scale and keep themselves DRY. The team has a DevOps culture, uses Scrum for its day to day work, and have adopted an "open by default" approach to new work.
Examples of our projects can be found at https://gitlab.developers.cam.ac.uk/uis/devops. Our technical strategy is published at https://techdesign.uis.cam.ac.uk and our guidebook at https://guidebook.devops.uis.cam.ac.uk/
Our ideal candidate will:
- Be highly skilled in modern Software Development tools and practices, and alway keep themselves up to date.
- Be an expert in:
- Architecting web applications, including API design, with a focus on maintainability, stability and security, using clean code.
- Packaging web applications in Docker containers.
- Create CI pipelines for building and testing web applications.
- Have working knowledge of:
- Best practices in deploying containerized web applications to the cloud.
- Testing frameworks and testing best practices.
- Be able to work across multiple product and service teams to help build consistent and unified application architectures.
- Drive improvements in technical architecture, standards and processes.
- Manage, train, and mentor a team of engineers.
- Work with leadership on new initiatives.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have a strong Software Engineering background with a passion for DevOps
- Focus on delivery while taking a continuous improvement approach to existing services.
- Work closely with other University members to gather, clarify, and break down requirements.
- Enjoy working with a large variety of services and technologies.
You will be responsible for:
- Keeping the team motivated, performant, and up to date with Software Development tools and practices.
- Managing priorities and help with scrum tasks such as: managing dependencies, scheduling work in sprints, writing tasks to the backlog, and backlog grooming.
- Understanding and supporting the needs of product and services, gathering requirements and developing strategies to satisfy these.
- Performing competitive analysis and identify the strengths and weaknesses of various solutions.
- Developing cases for proposed new features, products, or services.
You will have experience in:
- Managing agile teams.
- Working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Modern software development and testing practices and processes, including debugging, administration, and automation.
- Management of software requirements and dependencies.
- Version control and code review systems such as GitLab or GitHub.
- Continuous Integration and Testing.
- Cloud technologies on public clouds such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, or Azure.
You will be part of a team of Engineer Managers directly reporting to the Head of Development and Operations (DevOps).
We welcome applications from individuals who wish to be considered for part-time working or other flexible working arrangements.
We particularly welcome applications from women and candidates from a BME background for this vacancy as they are currently under-represented at this level in our institution.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
For any queries regarding this position please contact Abraham Martin, via email email@example.com.
Please quote reference VC26393 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.