UIS is looking for a hands-on Engineer Manager in DevOps to lead a team of engineers working on building new cloud native services and modernising existing applications. The services that the team maintains, of which some are public facing, are mainly used by University staff, researchers, and students which total around 60,000 people. Your work will have a significant impact on the reputation of one of the world's leading universities.
Our newer services use modern web architecture standards, are structured around APIs and are continuously built and tested using GitLab. They run on Docker containers and are deployed to a serverless container platform or a Kubernetes cluster on public cloud providers.
The team has a strong learning mindset and have produced boilerplate solutions and turn-key templates for their technology stack based upon Terraform, Ansible, GitLab, Python, Django, Java, Spring, React, and Typescript. These common resources help them be more efficient, work better at scale and keep themselves DRY. The team has a DevOps culture, uses Scrum for its day to day work, and have adopted an "open by default" approach to new work.
Examples of our projects can be found at https://gitlab.developers.cam.ac.uk/uis/devops. Our technical strategy is published at https://techdesign.uis.cam.ac.uk and our guidebook at https://guidebook.devops.uis.cam.ac.uk/
Our ideal candidate will:
- Be highly skilled in modern DevOps and SRE tools and practices, and always keep themselves up to date.
- Be an expert in designing, deploying, securing and optimizing cloud services at scale.
- Be able to work across multiple product and service teams to help build consistent and unified operations.
- Drive improvements in technical architecture, standards and processes with a focus on scalability, availability, security, validation, and cost.
- Be flexible and always be looking for patterns and ways to increase efficiency, eliminate downtime, optimise costs, and maintain performance at scale.
- Manage, train, and mentor a team of engineers day-to-day.
- Work with leadership on new initiatives.
- Have a strong Software Engineering background with a passion for DevOps
- Be happy to take risks and try new things when there is strong evidence of improvements.
- Focus on delivery while taking a continuous improvement approach to existing services.
- Work closely with other University members to gather, clarify, and break down requirements.
- Enjoy working with a large variety of services and technologies.
You will be responsible for:
- Keeping the team motivated, performant, and up to date with DevOps / SRE tools and practices.
- Managing delivery and Scrum tasks for DevOps / SRE work such as: managing dependencies, scheduling work in sprints, writing tasks to the backlog, and backlog grooming.
- Understanding and supporting the needs of product and services, gathering requirements and developing strategies to satisfy these.
- Ensuring availability, scalability, security, performance, cost, and compliance requirements of products and services.
- Performing competitive analysis and identify the strengths and weaknesses of various solutions.
- Developing cases for proposed new features, products, or services.
You will have experience in:
- Managing agile teams.
- Working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Deployments and operations of 24x7 highly available systems.
- Infrastructure as code, such as Terraform.
- Cloud technologies on public clouds such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, or Azure.
- Docker and Kubernetes.
- Version control and code review systems such as GitLab or GitHub.
- Logging, monitoring, metrics and alerting.
- Continuous Integration and Delivery.
- Modern software development and testing practices and processes, including debugging, administration, and automation.
- Management of software and infrastructure requirements and dependencies.
We welcome applications from individuals who wish to be considered for part-time working or other flexible working arrangements.
We particularly welcome applications from women and candidates from a BME background for this vacancy as they are currently under-represented at this level in our institution.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please upload a covering letter and CV in the Upload section of the online application. The covering letter should outline how you match the criteria for the post and why you are applying for this role. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application.
For any queries regarding this position, please contact Abraham Martin via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote reference VC24469 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.