The Medical Research Council Toxicology Unit is an internationally renowned institution focussed on the delivery of field-changing mechanistic insights into toxicology and disease.
We are relocating into the newly refurbished Gleeson Building, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge and looking to appoint a Building Maintenance Technician to ensure the smooth running of the electrical/mechanical services and to assist with general building maintenance.
Main duties of the role will include:
- Preventive maintenance to critical plant
- First line response to any problems with mechanical plant and equipment, blocked drains, lighting etc.
- Carry out/assist Estate Management with electrical maintenance, installation, servicing and repairs as required
- Routine inspections e.g. L8 water treatment, heating, air conditioning and ventilation etc.
- Prioritise planned maintenance and carry out technical investigative work where necessary
- Liaise with Estates Management/external contractors for the repair or routine servicing of plant and complete remedial work as required
- Co-ordinate and monitor Permit to Work system
- Carry out minor works including but not exclusively painting, fixing shelves, hanging pictures, monitor intelligent LED lighting system, replacing failures as necessary
- Assist in supervising contractors on larger installations/building projects
- Responsible for the technical specification, cost control, progress and final operational testing and certification of contractors work
- Assist the Senior Building Services Technician with refurbishments, carry out minor workplace improvements and alterations
- Conduct PAT testing of newly acquired electrical items and conduct minor repairs as required.
- Undertake routine maintenance of shared laboratory equipment, spot cleaning during normal working hours
- Assist with stores collection and distribution
- Some out of hours/on call emergency cover
You will be educated to HNC/HND (level 4/5 vocational qualifications) with NVQ level 3 in an electrical trade, or equivalent level of practical experience. A steam boiler qualification would be beneficial. A broad range of experience in a maintenance environment is required, especially within building/maintenance services including practical experience of the installation of electrical services. You will have good IT skills and the ability to communicate effectively with contractors and staff at all levels.
This is an open-ended position funded by the MRC.
Further information on the Toxicology Unit can be found at (http://www.mrc-tox.cam.ac.uk)
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Informal enquiries are invited and can be directed to David Schwarz at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any queries regarding the application process please contact Rebecca Heatherley at email@example.com
Please quote reference PU24107 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.