Are you passionate about repeatable scalable infrastructure, observability, optimization, and continuous deployment? Are you an expert in Google Cloud, AWS or Azure, Terraform, Ansible or other Configuration Management, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment tools? Do you have experience working with cloud native services operations like Container Management, Kubernetes, Docker Containers, and Helm?
The University of Cambridge's Information Services is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer (Cloud Architect) to join a growing team of 18 engineers working on building new Cloud native services and modernising legacy applications. The services that the team maintains, of which some are public facing, are mainly used by university staff and students (~60,000 people). Your work will have a significant impact on the reputation of one of the world's leading universities. These services use modern web architecture standards with APIs and are continuously built and tested using Continuous Integration tools. They run on Docker containers and get deployed to a Kubernetes cluster in Google Cloud infrastructure.
In your day to day job you will:
- Help developers build good Dockerfiles.
- Advise and work together with developers on infrastructure, maintenance, scalability, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Create GitLab CI configuration to:
- Build a production container.
- Integrate with GitLab's built in:
- Static security analysis (SAST)
- Dependency scanning
- Secrets detection
- Vulnerability detection
- Run automated tests using a production container and report on code coverage and code quality.
- Auto-deploy to a production-like test instance to then run functional tests using selenium.
- Design cloud infrastructure, components, security, etc.
- Use Terraform to create repeatable and scalable infrastructure in primarily Google Cloud with some infrastructure in Amazon Web Services. A typical infrastructure will be:
- Google Cloud SQL
- Either Google Kubernetes Engine (container based) or Google Cloud Run (serverless with containers). In the case of using GKE, Helm will be used to deploy services on to the platform.
- Google Cloud Storage
- Google Cloud KMS
- Stackdriver monitoring and alarming for different components of the infrastructure and the service.
- Mentor and train less senior DevOps engineers, helping them grow in the organisation.
- Participate together with other senior engineers in other areas of expertise (Backend, FrontEnd, API, Security, etc) in continuously improving the University of Cambridge's Information Services services, processes, and technology.
The team has a strong learning mindset and have produced boilerplates for our technology stack (Terraform, Ansible, Python, Django, React, and Typescript) that help us be more efficient, work better at scale and keep ourselves DRY. The team has a DevOps culture and uses Scrum for its day to day work, and we have adopted an "open by default" approach to new work and so you can find much of our work to date at https://gitlab.developers.cam.ac.uk/uis/devops
We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience working alongside developers in a multidisciplinary team
- Loves DevOps culture
- Enjoys training and mentoring other engineers.
- Has designed and implemented cloud architecture for systems using Terraform or similar.
- Can explain in detail all the advantages of using containers.
- Knows when it's better to use Knative, when it's not, and where the potential dragons lie in K8s multi-tenancies.
- Likes to have green CI pipelines with multiple checks, tests, and validations.
- Is capable of cutting cloud bills by optimising resource utilization.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Informal inquiries are welcome, please contact Abraham Martin: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact UIS Admin Office, email@example.com
Please quote reference VC20192 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
- Principal DevOps (Cloud Architect) HR7
Principal DevOps (Cloud Architect) HR7