The University Information Services (UIS) division at the University of Cambridge are currently seeking to appoint a Specialist Engineer (Linux Systems Administrator) for a permanent position within the Servers and Storage Team. This is an excellent opportunity that will allow the role holder to implement new and exciting enterprise technologies.
UIS provides IT facilities and IT Infrastructure for academic and administrative use across the University to 30,000 staff and students. This role supports and develops the operation of the core systems within the University. The department is undertaking a re-architecture of our central server infrastructure - creating a hybrid/multi-cloud environment and offering Infrastructure as a Service to University Institutions. The postholder will be involved in the creation and operation of this, and the migration of existing services into the new infrastructure.
The role requires an enthusiastic, person with good communication, organisational and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to produce clear documentation.
- Work within a team to support and enhance our core IT server infrastructure, both physical and virtual
- Implement and support key technologies in server, virtualisation, storage, and software
- Ensure that business continuity measures and implemented and maintained to minimize the impact of systems failure
- Monitor, diagnose and proactively fix issues
- Own small projects or sub projects associated with the improvement of infrastructure
- Design systems / choose appropriate technologies to solve the needs of one of the leading academic institutions in the world
- Implement and maintain automated systems to administer systems and services at scale
- Ensure that systems and procedural documentation is maintained and accurate
- Work closely with people across the department, including software engineers, networks engineers, security staff, database administrators, project managers and service teams.
Skills and qualifications:
The role holder will ideally have demonstrable experience working with the following products and technologies:
- Linux (RHEL or Ubuntu), with strong scripting and automation skills
- Configuration management (eg Ansible or puppet)
- NAS and SAN storage systems. Knowledge and experience of HCI will be beneficial
- Backup software (especially Veeam or Veritas Netbackup)
- Web technologies (apache, traffic management)
- Databases (esp. Postgres, MySQL)
- Full stack understanding of how different layers of IT interoperate, from networking up to the application / service level
- Comfortable finding solutions across technology boundaries
- Degree (2:1 or higher) or equivalent work experience
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact UIS Admin Office, email@example.com
Please quote reference VC21362 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
- Specialist Engineer Further Particulars
Specialist Engineer Further Particulars