The University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership (CISL) is a globally influential institute working to develop leadership and solutions for a sustainable economy. The Senior Press Manager is a new role, which will sit within CISL's Corporate Relations, Communications and Marketing team, which contributes to CISL's long-term growth and strategic impact by building our reputation and profile as a global thought leader.
The Senior Press Manager will play a pivotal role, sitting centrally, but working across portfolios to raise the profile of CISL's world class thought leadership, research, and business and policy leadership groups covering net zero carbon, sustainable finance and natural capital. The role has a high degree of autonomy and is being advertised at a particularly exciting time for the Institute as we continue our growth.
We are launching a number of new initiatives in 2019, and will move to a new low-carbon building in the centre of Cambridge in 2020, which will serve as a collaboration zone and catalyst for research, education, engagement and sustainable change.
We are looking for a self-starting, ambitious Senior Press Manager who can build on the success we've had to date increasing the public profile of CISL and its leadership groups.
The Senior Press Manager will focus on:
- Developing communications and media strategies for their portfolios and projects;
- Managing inbound press queries;
- Seeking and securing regular media opportunities;
- Developing and managing relationships with key editors and journalists;
- Monitoring media coverage and preparing regular evaluation reports;
- Researching and writing key thought leadership pieces;
- Developing and implementing strategies for proactive thought leadership;
- Devising and producing proactive integrated communications campaigns;
- Organising and delivering media training for key spokespeople;
- Supporting spokespeople during interviews and press conferences.
Applicants must be committed to the values that underpin CISL's work and are expected to demonstrate the following essential skills and experience:
- Educated to degree standard and holds a qualification from the PRCA, NCTJ or the Chartered Institute of Public Relations;
- Proven experience operating as a PR and communications professional, particularly in the areas of corporate, policy and B2B communications. International experience is desirable;
- Knowledge of the business, policy and finance sectors;
- Excellent networking skills with journalists across mainstream news and business media;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with proven ability to write and copy-edit different types of content e.g. press or blog articles, social media, website copy etc;
- Proven ability to pitch, organise and secure thought leadership opportunities with high-profile and top-tier titles;
- Excellent communication skills, both in written and spoken English;
- Excellent IT skills;
- Ability to cope with pressure well and meet tight deadlines;
- Understanding of the importance of social media and comfortable editing and posting in social media formats;
- Experience of communicating complex information to a diverse audience (desirable);
- Knowledge of Sustainability (desirable).
This is a full time, permanent position located in Cambridge.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Informal enquiries may be made to CISL Human Resources team, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote reference EN17768 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.