This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and proactive individual to work at the heart of one of the world's major research libraries. Cambridge University Library (CUL) is a legal deposit library containing one of the greatest collections of books and manuscripts in the world. CUL currently mounts two major exhibitions each year in its Milstein Exhibition Centre and monthly exhibitions in its two Entrance Hall cases. These are open to the public and admission is free. In 2016, CUL appointed a Head of Exhibitions and Public Programmes to be responsible for the changing displays in the Milstein Exhibition Centre. Exhibitions enable the CUL to reveal the richness of the books and manuscripts we hold, provide access to the collection for those not engaged in academic work, and highlight the world leading research that goes on within CUL and the University more widely.
This Exhibitions Conservator post seeks to fulfil an increasingly important role in the Conservation and Collection Care Department, handling both the practical conservation and the attendant administration for CUL exhibitions.
Reporting to the Head of Conservation and Collection Care, the role holder will assist the Head of Exhibitions and Public Programmes with the planning and delivery of CUL's exhibitions in the Milstein Exhibition Centre and maintain and develop CUL as a specialist centre of excellence in the area of innovative displays
The role holder will project manage the delivery of CUL's exhibitions in the Milstein Exhibition Centre in all aspects relating to the display of objects, these include:
- Planning and oversight of workflow necessary for the delivery of exhibitions
- Liaising with the Head of Exhibitions and Public Programmes
- Liaising with curators and librarians on matters relating to display
- Assessing material for their suitability for exhibition
- Carrying out any necessary conservation treatments
- Designing support structures
- Working with the Head of Exhibitions and Public Programmes on case planning and layout
- Working with Conservation and Collection Care colleagues in preparing and installing material for exhibition
- Working with Building Services on matters relating to display in the Milstein Exhibition Centre
- Liaising with and provide any necessary support to the Digital Content Unit for exhibition items that require imaging
- Writing blogs and use of other forms of Social Media, including Twitter
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Informal inquiries may be made to Jim Bloxam, Head of Conservation and Collection Care, Cambridge University Library. Tel: (01223) 747410; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Friday 29th June 2018
Interviews are planned for 10th and 11th July 2018
Please quote reference VE15868 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.