Applications are invited for the position of Research Associate in high resolution vehicle emissions modelling as a part of the Managing Air for Green Inner Cities project (MAGIC, www.magic-air.uk). The research position is within Cambridge University Engineering Department (CUED) working with the group of Adam Boies (www.aboies.com) and will collaborate closely with the Cambridge Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics and Centre for Transport Studies at Imperial College London.
The post-holder will collaborate to calculate pollutant concentrations resulting from the modelled emissions, as well as resulting air pollution ingress into buildings and the exposure of active travellers (pedestrians and cyclists) to air pollution.
- Compare existing methodologies for traffic microsimulation and instantaneous vehicle emissions.
- Conduct traffic microsimulation using appropriate software (e.g. PTV Vissim) for distinct case study areas.
- Implement algorithms for instantaneous tailpipe and non-tailpipe pollutant emissions from road traffic microsimulations. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different modelling approaches.
- Conduct collaborative research to quantify the air quality impacts of transport emissions.
- Write the emissions algorithms into software tools that can be generally applied to other traffic microsimulation networks.
- Disseminate project research outputs at conferences and in scientific journal publications.
Applicants must have a PhD in Engineering, Computer Science or a related subject. They must possess a mixture of skills including knowledge of vehicle emissions and transportation modelling, computer programming, experimental design and data analysis. The successful candidate will be able to construct emissions models and traffic simulations, gather and analyse the data, develop computer models and validate them. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, be able to liaise with industrial and academic members of the research group confidently. Working knowledge of vehicle emissions, traffic simulation, data management, model development and validation.
Salary Ranges: Research Associate: £31,604 - £38,833
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 24 months in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a covering letter in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact: Sarah Stevenson email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Tel +44 01223 330263).
Please quote reference NM15836 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.