A position exists, for a Research Assistant/Associate in the Department of Engineering, to work on EPSRC funded project "Minimising Energy in Construction" (EP/M033679/1) led by Dr John Orr. The research project has a long-term vision for the built environment to be designed cost-effectively, based on whole life cycle energy consumption using minimum material resource for appropriate performance. The role holder will participate in the overall contribution of the department/faculty, as appropriate.
The post holder will be located in Central Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK.
The key responsibilities and duties are:
- Undertake feasibility studies in the field of embodied energy minimisation
- Carry out data processing and analysis to inform research findings
- Lead impact and engagement events with industry
The skills, qualifications, and experience required:
- Applicants must have (or be close to obtaining) a PhD in Civil Engineering or a relevant related field
- Chartership with a Professional Engineering Institution (CEng or equivalent) is desirable
- The research assistant/associate should have expertise in the fields relevant to this project (Civil Engineering, Social Sciences). Expertise in structural mechanics, survey data collection, analysis and processing, will be highly beneficial. The candidate should have high level knowledge of codified design, be able to interview and collect data from industrial contacts, and have a holistic knowledge of sustainability.
- Very good communication and writing skills
- Experience working in a relevant industry is desirable
- Experience of managing own workload, sticking to deadlines and the ability to constantly update knowledge
Salary ranges: Research Assistant: £25,728 - £30,688 Research Associate: £31,604 - £38,833
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 20 months in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV), a covering letter, and a list of research publications in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
For specific or enquiries of a technical nature about the position, contact Dr John Orr (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have any questions about the application process, please contact: Ms Karen Mitchell, Structures Research Group Administrator, Engineering Department email: email@example.com.
Please quote reference NM13308 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.