A position exists, for a Research Assistant or Research Associate in the Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge to work on a policy-focused project investigating the functions of 'technology and innovation centres' (TICs). The Research Assistant/Associate would undertake independent and collaborative research under the guidance of Dr Eoin O'Sullivan (Centre for Science, Technology & Innovation Policy). The post holder will be located in the Institute for Manufacturing, West Cambridge, UK.
In the context of this project, TICs are any publically-funded research centres with missions to translate science and engineering research into technological demonstrators. These include intermediate R&D institutes (cf UK Catapults) as well as university-industry research centres addressing applied research challenges (cf UK Centres for Innovative Manufacturing Research).
Particular research themes of interest include:
- Characterising the missions of technology and innovation centres
- Characterising their portfolios of technology R&D
- Characterising their innovation system functions (beyond technology R&D)
- Strategy development processes, project selection criteria and key performance indicators
- Partnerships and linkages with other innovation system actors
- Comparative analysis of international TIC models
Qualifications, experience and skills required to perform the role:
- Has obtained (or is close to obtaining) a relevant PhD in management, engineering or economics
- Research experience in the following research domains: Technology management, technology/innovation policy, innovation systems theory
- Research experience related to the following policy areas: Technology policy, innovation policy, technology R&D institutions
- Experience of collaboration with engineering management and/or technology policy researchers
- Record of publishing in technology management or innovation policy-related journals
- Strong writing skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical concepts to academic partners and policy stakeholders
Salary Ranges: Research Assistant: £25,298 - £30,175 Research Associate: £30,175 - £38,183
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 18 months in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a covering letter together with a research publication list (including publications in press or under review) in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact: Rashmi Sinha (email: CSTIemail@example.com).
Please quote reference NM12839 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.