The Department of Biochemistry in Cambridge is seeking to host early career researchers who have the ambition to start an independent research group with an external fellowship.
The Department has more than 40 research groups (bioc.cam.ac.uk/research) with interests that fall broadly into the following areas:
- Chemical biology and drug design
- Disease biology
- DNA and chromatin biology
- Molecular microbiology
- Plant biochemistry and bioenergy
- RNA biology
- Signalling and trafficking
- Systems biology
We offer a dynamic environment where research benefits from state of the art facilities for structural biology, bioinformatics, biophysics, Cryo-EM, protein analysis, biological mass spectrometry and DNA sequencing with complementary facilities housed in neighbouring departments and institutes within the School of Biological Sciences.
If you are interested in obtaining the Department's support for your application, you should first discuss your research ideas with a relevant departmental group leader.
To make an application, please email email@example.com by 13th April 2018 with the following:
- A CV including a list of publications (highlighting the three publications that you consider to be most significant)
- Two references sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A two page outline of your intended research programme
- A statement of why you would like to work in the Department
- A brief outline of the facilities you would need during a Fellowship
We are particularly keen to receive applications from women and ethnic minorities.
Informal enquiries can also be sent to: email@example.com
Shortlisted applicants will be informed by Friday 27th April and invited to visit the department and give a seminar on either 17th or 18th May 2018.
Successful candidates will be offered support for the preparation of their Fellowship application. If you are interested in other schemes please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Typical fellowship schemes:
- Wellcome Trust Sir Henry Dale Fellowship
- Medical Research Council Career Development Award
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council David Phillips Fellowships
- Cancer Research UK Career Development Fellowship
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship
For individuals returning to research after a career break:
- Wellcome Trust Career Re-entry Fellowship
- Daphne Jackson Fellowship
Please quote reference PH12837 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.