A position exists, for a Research Assistant or Research Associate in the Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge to work on a policy-focused research project investigating the role of government support for emerging technologies. The Research Assistant/Associate would undertake independent and collaborative research under the guidance of Dr Eoin O'Sullivan (Centre for Science, Technology & Innovation Policy). The post holder will be located in the Institute for Manufacturing, West Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Successful applicants will be expected to carry out fundamental research into the evolving role of government and government agencies in supporting emerging technologies, as well as more applied research related to the development of practical frameworks to support government foresight and policy development. Particular research themes of interest include:
- Longitudinal case study analysis of emerging technological innovation journeys, with particular attention to the evolving contribution different national research actors
- Analysis of the different innovation functions provided by key research institutions in support of emerging technologies
- National efforts at interagency and/or inter-institutional alignment and coordination to support emerging technology innovation
- Analysis of the evolving portfolio of investments by national research & innovation funding agencies
Qualifications, experience and skills required to perform the role:
- Has obtained (or is close to obtaining) a relevant PhD in management, engineering or economics
- Research experience related to the following domains: Technology management, technology/innovation policy, innovation systems theory, history of technology
- Research experience related to the following policy areas: research and innovation policy, technology R&D institutions, technology R&D programmes
- Experience of collaboration with engineering management and/or technology policy researchers
- Record of publishing in high quality research & innovation policy-related journals
Salary Ranges: Research Assistant: £25,298 - £30,175 Research Associate: £30,175 - £38,183
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 18 months in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a covering letter together with a research publication list (including publications in press or under review) in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact: Rashmi Sinha (email: CSTIfirstname.lastname@example.org).
Please quote reference NM12836 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.