A post-doctoral research associate position is available in the group of Prof Fiona Gribble and Dr Frank Reimann at the Institute of Metabolic Science, University of Cambridge. The position is funded by the Wellcome Trust, and has a focus on improving understanding the role of the gut-pancreatic-brain axis in obesity and related metabolic diseases.
You will run a program of research to investigate nutrient sensing and intracellular signalling pathways in the enteroendocrine axis, using cell lines, primary intestinal/neuronal cultures and tissue slices/whole mounts. You will be required to use live cell imaging techniques including confocal microscopy for monitoring cellular signalling events, flow cytometry for cell purification and molecular techniques for transcriptomic analysis. The successful applicant will develop the research objectives and assist in preparation of proposals and application to funding bodies. An important part of the role will be analysis of data, the presentation of research work and data within the Institute, nationally and internationally and the preparation and submission of research for publication in peer-reviewed journals. You will also assist in providing instruction to graduate students and other members of the research group in the use of specialist cellular imaging and primary culture techniques.
Applicants must possess:
- A PhD in biochemistry, cell biology, physiology or a related biological sciences discipline.
- Extensive practical expertise in the use of real-time single cell imaging of intracellular signalling pathways.
- Practical experience in working with cell lines and primary intestinal cultures, cell purification by flow cytometry and molecular biological techniques.
- Evidence of ability to work as part of a research team and to organise and participate in collaborative research initiatives and projects.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in dealing with data acquisition and analysis protocols in the field of cellular signalling.
- Evidence of ability to prepare and analyse data for publication in scientific journals and to present scientific data to peers in seminars and at conferences.
- Evidence of ability to impart knowledge and skills to other members of the research group
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available until 31 July 2020 in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply' button below. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Informal enquiries can be made to Professor Fiona Gribble, Metabolic Research Laboratories, Level 4, Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science, Box 289 Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge CB2 0QQ. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote reference RG11938 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.Apply online